Our eyes are one the most sensitive areas on our bodies. Protecting your eye area is a very important part of your daily skin care routine.
Winter Skin Care Tips – Eyes
During the winter, when the days are shorter we spend more time inside, often under florescent lighting. The cold air has low humidity and the heating systems in our homes dry out our eyes. All these factors contribute to our eyes tending to look tired, red and puffy.
We recommend doing an eye mask with green tea or cucumber. A collagen eye mask will not only sooth your eyes but will also help with preventing signs of premature aging. Use an eye cream daily and treat your eyes with care.
The winter season with its first snowfall has its beauty. However icy temperatures, low air humidity and indoor heat simply pull out moisture from the skin. Add to the environmental factors hot showers and harsh soaps and what you are left with is dry, itchy and flaky skin. The dehydration process also disrupts cell turnover, leading to an avalanche of dead cells and a lifeless, dull skin.
The solution is to understand that your skin has different needs during the changing seasons and increase your layers of support with proper skin care.
1. Talk with a professional who can analyze your skin type and condition to recommend appropriate care products for your skin.
2. Use a gentle foaming cleanser or cleansing milk. Add a hydrating mask. Avoid alcohol based toners.
3. Say goodbye to your water-based summer moisturizer and use one with emollients such as natural oils, like jojoba, almond or olive. A good winter moisturizer should have humectants such as hyaluronic, lactic and glycolic acids as it will attract water from the dermis into the epidermis.
4. Layer a hydrator under your moisturizer, a serum or hydrating booster to increase your level of protection against the environmental factors. If you are concerned with pre-mature aging make sure you use a product with retinol, it will help with cell turnover.
5. Sunscreen isn’t just for the summertime. Winter sun combined with snow glare can still damage your skin. Defend against ultraviolet rays with moisturizing sunscreen and antioxidants-especially if you engage in winter sports.
6. Drink plenty of water or Green Tea with honey and lemon to boost Vitamin C and antioxidants intake. Consider investing in a humidifier.
Make an appointment at C.Joy Salon to get a thorough skin analysis and guidance on your winter skin care routine. 425.577.6232
What is a Brazilian? It is the removal of all pubic hair with waxing.
(at this time, our therapists are trained to perform this service on female clients only)
What can I expect? Will I have some irritation and redness? Irritation and redness are common responses, due to the histamine reaction caused by the removal of the hair by the root. You will experience some discomfort. We suggest maintenance of every 3-4 weeks which reduces the thickness of hair re-growth. If you keep up a regular schedule of hair removal every 3-4 weeks your discomfort level will decrease.
Before and After Care instruction for waxing:
- no tanning 24 hrs before and after service
- refrain from working out 24 hrs after service to prevent skin irritation and ingrown hairs
- good exfoliation and hair trimming is recommended, 1/16 – 1/8 inch is the best hair length
- absolutely no waxing if you are taking Accutane, Retin-A or other topical medication, please consult your physician first
- if you are under 18, we will need written parent consent
- to prevent ingrown hairs, continue daily exfoliation
Facelogic is very excited about this new partnership. Our therapists are highly trained to provide you with a professional Dermalogica facial experience and recommend retail products customized to your skin type for daily care at home.
Our mission is clear – a service provided with a product line free of common irritants and ingredients that could cause breakouts (including lanolin, SD alcohol, mineral oil, artificial colors and fragrances) that would improve skin health. Dermalogica products are being sold in over 80 countries for the last 25 years.
The Moment Your Skin Changed. Forever.
When Dermalogica meets skin, skin health is redefined. Dermalogica is the number one choice of skin care professionals and consumers worldwide. Why? Because for over 25 years, they’ve been dedicated to delivering skin health results through education, innovation, and professional recommendation, not through advertising, frilly packaging, promises of miracle cures, or overblown hype.
8336 164th Ave NE
Redmond, WA 98052
Beat that Mean Melanoma
May is Melanoma/Skin Cancer Detection & Awareness Month. According to Westchester Health Associates, skin cancer is the most common cancer in the United States but it is also one of the most preventable and treatable. The incidence of skin cancer has reached preposterous levels: there has been a 300% increase in non-melanoma skin cancer since 1994 & 90% of it is associated with exposure to UV radiation. Furthermore, 1 in 5 Americans will have skin cancer at one point in their lives.
Stuart Zweibel, MD, PHD, from Westchester Health Associates states, “A tan is actually your body’s attempt to protect itself from the sun’s harmful rays and is a symptom of the sun damage that is occurring beneath the surface of the skin.”
In order to protect your skin from these unwanted rays, use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or more. Make sure you apply sunscreen 30 minutes before going outdoors. The ingredients in the sunscreen need time to bind to your skin to be effective. If at all possible, avoid the mid-day sun, especially the hours between 10 AM to 4 PM, when the sun is the strongest and can do the most damage.
Know the warning signs of skin cancer. A skin growth that changes in size and appears pearly, translucent, brown, black, tan or multicolored, a mole or birthmark that changes color or texture or increases in thickness, is irregular in outline and larger than the head of an eraser.
No Scream Cream & Get the Bump Outta Here
Let us help you with all your Waxing and Sugaring needs!
Using a toner is one of those easy-to-skip steps in your skincare regiment as you rush from cleansing to moisturizing. Not so fast! Slipping a well-balanced toner into your routine is well worth the few extra seconds.
A quality, well-balanced toner will:
- remove any final traces of soap, dirt or soil, which can clog pores
- help to restore your skin’s natural PH
- prepare your face to “accept” moisturizer more readily
- improve your skin’s quality, especially when you chose one specially formulated for your complexion type– – dry, oily or combination.
How to apply a toner:
If you’ve chosen a spray-on toner, simply spritz your face and allow it to dry. (I use Dermalogica Mulit-Active Toner – it feels really cool and refreshing.) If your toner is liquid, generously moisten a cotton ball and smooth it on your complexion. Follow up with a moisturizer.